Are you in the market for an airgun? Air pistols can be a great alternative to live firearms, for people like hunters and learners (target practice), or gun enthusiasts looking for some fun at the range. However, choosing the best airgun is quite tricky, given that there are many things that you need to consider. The market is also flooded with a wide variety of air pistols, which can be quite confusing if you are a beginner. Fortunately, we have chosen the best air pistols currently on the market and reviewed them for you. Whether you are looking to hunt, hone your shooting skills, or just have some fun, the following 7 air pistols are some of the best options in the market.
- 1 7 Most Powerful Air Pistols in 2017 – Comparison Chart
- 2 How To Choose The Best Air Pistol
- 2.1 Features to Look For in an Air Pistol
- 2.2 Important questions to ask before buying an airgun
- 2.3 Conclusion
7 Most Powerful Air Pistols in 2017 – Comparison Chart
|Smith & Wesson M&P 40 BB||.177||N/A||480 fps|
|Crosman American Classic Pump||.177||1.875 lbs||600 fps|
|Crosman 2240 CO2-Powered||.22||1.81 lbs||460 fps|
|Daisy 985415-42 Hunting||.177||7.5 lbs||500 fps|
|Benjamin Trail NP Break Barrel||.177||3.44 lbs||625 fps|
|Benjamin Marauder PCP||0.25||7.5 lbs||1000 fps|
|Gamo PT-85 Blowback Pellet||.177||1.5 lbs||450 fps|
Smith & Wesson M&P 40 BB Airgun
Smith & Wesson M&P 40 BB is a great air pistol that is manufactured by Smith & Wesson, one of the leading firearm manufacturers in the world. The design of the airgun is based on the company’s live-fire S&W Military and Police sidearm. With a fire velocity of 480 fps, the Smith & Wesson M&P 40 is a powerful air pistol, and it would be an impressive piece of tool to own.
- The .177 Cal pellets combined with the 480 fps pellet velocity delivers a powerful performance
- It is very accurate, which makes it easier to hit your targets
- It has an authentic look and feel, which makes it fun to use
- It has a great magazine capacity
- Some customers have complained of the CO2 cylinders leaking, but this might be due to poor installation of the cylinder.
Crosman American Classic Pump Airgun
The Crosman P1377 is a budget-friendly air pistol, but it is still one of the best airguns when it comes to performance. It shoots .177 caliber pellets at a speed of up to 600 fps, which gives it an impressive knockdown force. The pistol also comes with a single action bolt design, which makes it very easy to load. It also comes with adjustable power option, which allows you to choose the amount of knockdown force. On top of that, it is designed with a longer barrel, which helps to improve its accuracy. All of these features make it one of the best airguns for hunting or target practice.
- It is very affordable
- It is a powerful airgun that can fire a pellet at impressive speeds of up to 600 fps
- It is easy to handle and can be used by both right-handed and left-handed shooters
- It can be used with different types of pumps
- It is a single shot air pistol, which you must pump after every shot
- The pump handle is quite narrow, which can cause you some pain and exertion as you are pumping.
Crosman 2240 CO2-Powered Air Pistol
The Crosman 2240 is another impressive airgun you should consider if you are looking for something powerful. The CO2-powered airgun fires powerful .22 caliber BB pellets at velocities of up to 460 fps. It is also very accurate, and you can even accessorize it with additional gear for improved performance. This is one of the best airguns to buy if you are looking to hunt or shoot at targets.
- It packs impressive power, which makes it one of the best options for target practice and hunting.
- You can upgrade and accessorize the air pistol with aftermarket parts and gear
- It is very easy to use and can be used comfortably by both right-handed and left-handed shooters
- It is a quite decent air pistol, but you will need to upgrade and accessorize it if you want a better performance.
- The rear sights are a bit low quality. However, you can overcome this downside by fitting it with a scope.
Daisy 985415-42 Hunting Air Pistol
The Daisy 985415-42 model is a semi-automatic airgun that is designed with a realistic, live sidearm appearance. The model uses C02 cartridges as a propellant, which helps you to shoot .177Cal BB pellets at impressive speeds of up to 500 fps. It also comes with a number of amazing features, not to mention a great performance, and impressive knockdown power, all of which makes it one of the best airguns for hunting, target practice. The airgun has also received several positive reviews from satisfied customers, and thus you can be sure that you are investing in a trusted product when buying it.
- It is a very affordable airgun
- The 500 fps pellet velocity delivers powerful shooting
- It is very easy to handle and use
- It has amazing accuracy
- It is a repeater pellet gun, which means you might need to invest in a large amount of CO2 cylinders
Benjamin Trail NP Break Barrel Air Pistol
The Benjamin Trail NP is not a new airgun, having been on the market for quite a while now. However, since its entry into the market, it has caused quite a stir, with several airgun fans and enthusiasts praising its performance. The airgun delivers impressive knockdown power, courtesy of the .177 Cal pellets, which it can shoot at a velocity of up to 625 fps. This makes it one of the most powerful airguns that are currently in the market.
- The cocking aid makes it easy to load the gun
- It has an impressive pellet velocity of up to 625 fps
- You can use both lead and alloy pellets
- It is light, which makes it easy to handle and shoot
- The optics are poor, and you might need to accessorize with scopes, laser, or red dot optics if you are looking for more precision.
Benjamin Marauder PCP Air Pistol
Benjamin Marauder PCP air pistol is one of the best air pistols in terms of power and performance. It uses a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) power system, which delivers excellent and destructive shots for up to 33 yards away. The bolt-action rifle shoots .22 Cal pellets at lightning-fast speeds of up to 700 fps, which makes it one of the best air pistols on the market.
- With speeds of up to 700 fps, it delivers a great knockdown force, making it one of the best air guns for hunting.
- It comes with an improved trigger and grip designs, which makes it easy to handle and use
- It can be equipped with scopes for more accurate firing
- It can fire multiple times at a go
- It does not come with any sight, and you must accessorize it with scopes, laser pointer or red sight if you want more precision.
Gamo PT-85 Blowback Pellet Pistol
Gamo PT-85 is a semi-automatic gun that is designed with a blowback action, thus mirroring the operation of a live-fire sidearm. It also comes with a lightweight design that is very easy to use and handle. Its performance is also great, with the gun firing 0.177 Cal pellets at speeds of up to 450 fps. Due to its lightweight design, amazing feature, and good performance, the Gamo PT-85 is best used for small game hunting and target practice.
- It comes with amazing optics, which offers you more accurate shots
- It comes with a realistic design
- You can attach several accessories for improved performance
- It is very easy and comfortable to use
- It is quite loud when firing, but you can reduce the noise of the shots by attaching a silencer.
How To Choose The Best Air Pistol
With so many air pistols in the market, choosing the best air pistol to buy is a challenging task. It is even more difficult when you are new airguns, as the several options can be quite confusing. Fortunately for you, we have come up with tips on how to choose the best airgun, which will help you narrow down your options. With these tips, you will have an easier time sorting through all of the available options. You will also have a much better chance of choosing the best airgun.
Features to Look For in an Air Pistol
You need to consider a number of factors if you are looking to buy the best airgun. However, since the quality of an airgun is largely dependent on the features, the best way of narrowing down your options is to start by looking at the features of each air pistol. Below are some of the features that you should look out for when buying an air pistol
Caliber of the gun
Each air pistol uses different pellets caliber. The most common ones are .177, .22, and .25. The caliber of the airgun affects the force of the shot, with the .177 having the lowest power compared to the other two types. Therefore, if you are looking to buy a powerful airgun, the best options are airguns using .22 and .25 caliber pellets. On the other hand, if you do not require something with too much power, the .177 Cal pistols will do just fine.
The trigger pull
Airguns come with different types of trigger, which vary in terms of sensitivity, or what is commonly referred to as the trigger pull. For people who are new to airguns, the trigger pull might seem like a just a small aspect of the airgun. However, it is very important in that it affects the overall control you have over the airgun while firing.
For example, if the trigger of an air pistol is too light, it will discharge the pellets with very little effort, which can increase the risk of accidental shooting. On the other hand, if the trigger is too heavy, you will have a harder time firing the pellets. The best option is thus to choose a trigger that is not too light or too heavy. This will give you better control over the airgun, and at the same time, make it easy to fire the shots.
The propellant used
The propellant or the power source is another important feature of an air pistol, as it has a huge effect on the velocity of the shots, and hence the power of the airgun. The most common types of power systems used in an airgun include nitro pistons, spring pistons, pre-charged pneumatic system, and CO2.
When looking at the propellant, you should also consider the fact that each type of propellant has its own pros and cons. For example, an airgun that uses a PCP system can shoot for as long as you need, but you will need to pump it constantly. On the other hand, an airgun that uses CO2 cartridges as a propellant does not require pumping, but you will have to invest in CO2 cylinders.
Optics are an important feature of an airgun, as they have a huge bearing on the accuracy. When choosing the best airgun to buy, you will come across different types of optics – open style sights, fiber optic sight, reflectors, red dots, and scopes. The type of scope you choose will affect the precision of your airgun – high-quality optics such as scopes, reflectors, and red dots will improve your precision when firing.
Important questions to ask before buying an airgun
Each airgun user has specific preferences, and thus choosing the best airgun is not as simple as going for the one with the most sophisticated features. Therefore, if you are looking to buy something that is right for you, you need to look consider more than just the features. But how do you decide which airgun is right for you? Below are a few questions that can help you
What do you intend to use the airgun for?
When buying an airgun, you should consider your intended use – target practice, hunting, or just for fun. By identifying the intended use, you will be able to come up with parameters that will help you choose the best airgun. For example, if you are planning to use the airgun for hunting, then you will need to buy a pistol that is powerful, fast, quiet, has a great accuracy, among other things. On the other hand, if you just want to practice firing, you need to invest in something that is easy to use, accurate, and has a good magazine capacity.
Do you want to upgrade and accessorize your airgun?
Airguns come with different designs, with some designs supporting additional gear (scopes, laser pointers, tactical flashlights, etc.), while others do not. When you are buying an airgun, you should thus consider whether you want to install additional gear or not, as this will steer your options. For example, if you are looking to mount a scope, you will need to choose an airgun whose design supports mounting a scope.
What is your budget?
Budget is another important consideration, as it will determine how much you can spend on an airgun. Therefore, when buying an airgun, you should first determine the budget limit and then start looking at the best available options that are not above that limit.